ITIL Change Management Webinar – 8 Key Takeaways
Freshservice hosted a webinar on ITIL change management processes, aimed at providing practical steps on getting started with the process within any organization. This drew interest from across the industry, and the attendees were given actionable takeaways from this webinar.
Listen to the complete webinar recording here.
Change management is an indispensable quality control process. This process is responsible for assessment, planning, and approvals for the deployment of one or more changes while ensuring minimal disruption to the live environment.
The average cost of an infrastructure failure is $100,000 per hour – IDC report
This cost of failed change is huge and organizations cannot afford to have these kinds of failure.
Why is change management important?
1) Improved risk management with better risk control
2) Better visibility & communication to stakeholders
3) Faster deployments and shorter release cycles
4) Reduced service disruptions and system downtime
8 Key Takeaways
1) Change management process flow is a simple four-step process. Log a request for change, process the request, review, and then close the request.
2) Change request processing is responsible for change planning, approval, building, and deployment of any new change request.
3) Define change life cycle to control the transition between statuses. For example, right from open, through planning, and till approval, it is mandatory to complete certain conditions and tasks such as planned start dates and end dates, and assigning an agent to the change request.
4) Define workflows to automate manual processes and activities such as triggering approval mail to the customer advisory board (CAB), updating statuses, adding a note, etc. Change workflows in Freshservice let you automate these manual processes, saving time for change managers to focus on strategic activities.
5) Plan your day better by customizing your change dashboard to check relevant ticket changes. For example, all unapproved changes and distribution of changes by change types, can be added as widgets within the dashboard.
6) Focus on the process – It is important to follow every stage in the change management process such as planning, approval, review, etc. in order to improve efficiency, and mitigate risk.
7) Start smaller – Take baby steps while implementing a change management process rather than adopting a big bang approach. Implement the change management process for fewer organizations, to validate the process flow.
8) Keep your team informed – Education and awareness are important, to keep your team members informed about the change management process and its benefits.
Implementing change management within your organization is very critical, but is just the start. Through change management, IT can improve in terms of infrastructure quality, reduce service interruption, and be more responsive to the business.
Learn more about how implementing unified IT Service Management frameworks can increase efficiency for your business at the Freshworks Experience Roadshow; October 1st – 31st in 10 European cities. With talks and discussions on how to deliver modern IT services that match the scale of your business. Register for your tickets today.
Subscribe for blog updates
Thank you for subscribing!
OOPS! something went wrong try after sometime